09 February 2019

Introduction

After graduating game design school with a mediocre GPA (hey, I was listed as "in good standing" with the college, okay? Not my fault you need a 3.5 to get anywhere these days. I had some hard classes!) and absolutely failing to hook a proper programming job out of the gate (I blame the economy), I've filled my days in classic millennial fashion with an unsatisfying part-time job and my best attempts to balance playing video games and trying to develop my own in my spare time.
Henceforth -
ahem.
Henceforth and herein shall I be documenting my (mis)adventures in such topics as procedural generation, immersion, shader programming, physics, and saving up for a computer that has a discrete graphics card.

Being on a tight budget, my knowledge of most new AAA titles is secondhand and I've instead focused my attention on the growing indie scene. Perennial favorite games of mine include Kerbal Space Program, Space Engine, and the ubiquitous Minecraft; and I'm currently following projects such as Yandere Simulator and Manifold Garden and trying to learn what I can from others' successes and failures.
Someday I hope to not only follow in these people's footsteps but blaze a legendary trail of my own. Maybe I'll make a fortune for myself, but if I can at least make a living out of doing what I love I'll consider the endeavor a huge success.
As one may guess from my game preferences, my soft spot is for 3D exploration and sandbox games. I've played intense PVP experiences from Halo to EVE Online to League of Legends, but to paraphrase a proverb in the EVE community: there are people who build sand castles, and there are people who kick them down. I'm an unashamed sand castle builder. I respect playstyles focused on defeating other players, but where I like to involve myself is in building something new, whether competitively, cooperatively, or for its own merit. This applies not only to the games I play, but to the games I try my hardest to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry this isn't a real post :C

I've entered graduate school and, as I expected, suddenly become far busier than I had been before, leaving no time to maintain my blog,...